Proud to be a Part of it

By Unknown - 13:16

As you may or may not know I've spent my summer working in Sainsbury's bakery to earn some money before University. After 10 weeks working there having barely stuck to my 22 hour contract (by that I mean they usually gave me 30 or more), today is now my last day. I've really enjoyed myself and I really feel like I've gained a lot from working there, most importantly, confidence. I'm generally a pretty shy person, I get embarrassed easily, and it's not hard to make me blush until I'm completely red in the face. However, whilst working at Sainsbury's I had no choice but to put myself in the situations I used to avoid.

At College, I never even used to order my own lunch, I'd get my friend or boyfriend to do it. I hated asking questions in class, or speaking up to answer them. But at work, customers come up to you all the time asking where things are, ingredients or details of food intolerances, if I'd get them something/enquire if we had it in stock and it didn't take me long to realise I couldn't just run away from the situation. I really liked being put in that position, just communicating with all the customers made me feel like a different person. It may sound ridiculous, but that's really how I feel. The people I served always seemed to like me, I was friendly, and tried my hardest to help them with what they needed.

I think Sainsbury's has also helped me set my self up for Uni, I feel more ready to make new friends simply because of the confidence I've gained from working there. The thing Sainsbury's has also done is demonstrate to me what a hard worker I can be. I've always been happy to go past 10 o'clock when I'm actually supposed to finish work, just to ensure I get the most important parts of the job done - most importantly disposals. This may not be a big thing to some people, but to me it is, because at my last job I phoned in sick all the time. I phoned in when I was at my friends house in Mullion and I couldn't be bothered to bus my way over to the pub I worked at in Coverack. I went to friends houses knowing I wouldn't be able to get to work on time. Bear in mind I was 15 and had that 'I don't have a care in the world' attitude. I should have definitely been more considerate towards my boss, my co-workers, and most importantly my friend Penny who got me the job in the first place, which I've never really thanked her enough for.

But at Sainsbury's I have definitely enjoyed working there and I know I've worked hard. Also, I'm proud to be part of it! 'It' being the Paralympics 2012 which Sainsbury's are the partners of. I would have loved to have gone to London to watch some of the events, or just to experience the fantastic feeling of elation that surrounds the Olympic Park. I'm incredibly jealous of all the volunteers who were really part of it, including old school friends the Batley's who will be on the One Show tonight for being two of the 70,000+ Gamesmakers. However, wearing this t-shirt is going to have to keep me satisfied:


I must say, I'm pretty happy to have this as a souvenir from work and to have been part of it! Go ParalympicsGB! I hope everyone else has got into the spirit of a summer of sport and shown support for all our Olympic and Paralympic athletes.
MissIsGoode

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments

I always appreciate and love reading comments from you lovely lot, so comment away and don't forget to leave your links too! ♥